A guide to services

See which service or professional is best to help you.


Call 111


NHS 111 is a new service which makes it easier for you to access local health services. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. If you need urgent healthcare, you should call NHS 111 before you go to any other service. By calling NHS 111 you will be directed straightaway to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When should I call NHS 111?

  • When you need help fast but it is not life threatening.
  • When you think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.
  • When it is outside of GP surgery hours.
  • When you are visiting the area.
  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.


Your local Pharmacists can provide advice on most common health issues. They can suggest and dispense medicine and other health products. There are often Pharmacists in supermarkets and many are open late.

Visit NHS Choices on www.nhs.uk where you can find the service locator that will help you find the Pharmacist nearest to you.



You will need to register with a GP - to find a GP in your area, use the NHS Choices Find Services System on: www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories

Your GP can advise, give medicines and information on other services. You will need to make an appointment but most GPs will see a baby quite quickly if you are worried.

During the evenings, at weekends and public holidays most services are covered by a GP out-of-hours service call NHS 111.

Health Visitor

Health Visitor

Health Visitors are there to support you and your family during the early years. They will visit you at home or see you in your local clinic. They assess your health and development needs and can tell you where to get extra help if you need it.

Children's Centres

Children's Centres

Families can access a wide range of information in a friendly environment.

Children's Centres provide a range of advice including health promotion and advice on safety. They promote all aspects of child health and well-being.



For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, please call 999. A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness such as choking, chest pain, blacking out, or blood loss.



Make sure you see a Dentist on a regular basis.

To find a Dentist visit NHS Choices www.nhs.uk

To find an emergency Dentist for patients in pain and out-of-hours call NHS 111.